Well, the season is here and so is all the good food! It is a tradition in my family to make a ridiculous amount of cookies and give them to everyone we know from best friends to the mailman. I am lucky enough to have some of my grandmothers handwritten recipes and make every single one each year. I know live just a couple hours from my dad so we are able to make them together which makes me incredibly happy. I hope my kids remember baking with us when they get older and continue the traditions, nothing would make me happier.
Anyway, enough with the sentimental stuff and onto the recipe! I promise I will share more in the near future but for now enjoy these festive bites of joy! (ha!)
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup shortening
- 3 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoons lemon extract
You can replace any of the extracts but this is the “right” way to make them.
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup warm whole milk (about 30 seconds in the microwave)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Colored sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a kitchen aid (preferred) or a hand mixer beat the eggs until like are foamy (about 7 minutes on high)
- Take out and put aside
- Add flour, sugar and baking powder to bowl, mix to combine
- Slowly beat in the shortening and extracts of choice
- Roll dough in 1 inch balls
- Bake for 7 minutes, turn baking sheet, bake for another 5 minutes
- While baking, mix all ingredients together and make glaze
- Let cookies cool for a few minutes and while still warm dip into glaze and top with sprinkles
- Try to eat just one and share the wealth
I always double recipes but this one make several dozen cookies so unless you plan on feeding an army one batch will do. Let me know if you like them and how they turned out and share your must have cookie recipes with me so I can add some to my list!
Cheers and Merry Christmas!