Ok, so I am sure many of you heard of Jack Fruit, its the biggest fruit in the world and can be found in a few different parts of the world (and your local Whole foods and canned at Trader Joes!) Check it out below (not my photos).
So back to why you care. Apparently you can use this magical fruit in place of meat! Tonight I did it “pulled pork style” and my Husband AKA the biggest meat eater that I have met, ever literally said “Not only does this look like pulled pork but it tastes like it too, you seriously would never know!”
I am telling you try this recipe, whether you are trying to cut the meat, be healthier, try something new, curious or whatevs, it is nuts that a fruit could act as a protein and be a fulfilling meal!
MOCK PULLED PORK NACHOS aka Jack Fruit Sweet Potato Nachos:
- 1 Can of Jack Fruit from Trader Joes (rinsed and dried)
- 1/2 C (plus) of your favorite homemade or store bought BBQ sauce
- 2-3 Large sweet potatoes (sliced on a mandolin or cut super thin (chip like)
- 1 Can Corn (I used organic from Trader Joes (TJs)
- 1 Can Black Bean (again organic from TJs)
- 1 Can Garbonzo Beans (you know it, organic from TJs)
- 1 TBSP – Cumin
- 1 TBSP – Garlic Powder
- 1 TBSP – Paprika
- 1 TBSP – Cayenne Pepper
- 1 TBSP Oregano
- Desired amount of cheese (or omit if you don’t like cheese)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
NOTE: Omit any seasonings you don’t like or make it less spicy by leaving out the cayenne. You can also get away with just using your favorite BBQ sauce on the Jack Fruit and not adding any additional spice.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Mix all the seasonings together then split in half
- Mix half with a little coconut oil or EVOO and put in a large zip-lock with cut sweet potatoes to coat
- Spread out potatoes on a baking sheet and put in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, flipping half way through (keep a close eye and don’t let them burn)
While the potatoes are cooking
- Take rinse/dried jack fruit and cut off the hard ends and shred as much as possible
- Mix together the canned items (corn, black beans and garbanzo beans) in a colander and rinse
- Take other half of spice mixture and add with your BBQ sauce and toss with jack fruit
- Start cooking the jack fruit on the stove in a pan for about ten minutes; you want to brown it, it should start looking like meat (especially with the marinade)
Put it all together
- Sprinkle cheese over potatoes (if you are using cheese)
- Add cooked jack fruit
- Add desired amount of corn/bean mixture (I kept the leftovers for salads/bowls throughout the week)
- Pop it back in the oven for 5 minutes to get everything warm and melty
Optional but obviously recommended
- Guacamole (or just sliced avocado)
- Sliced jalapenos
- Favorite hot sauce
- Salsa (or just diced tomatoes)
- Sour Cream or your favorite substitution
- Cold beer
Guys, this recipe was super easy and as always able to be customized. Just add anything you would normally add to your nachos. It will for sure curve your “bar food craving” and make you feel like you are cheating when in reality you are eating FRUIT on a SUPER FOOD topped with some more super food. It’s bizarre but in a good way!
Keep any and all leftovers. I am going to scramble up some eggs tomorrow morning and add the leftovers for a weird and delicious version of a breakfast burrito!
Let me know if you do it and what you think but seriously MAKE IT!